Wednesday, March 21, 2007
A Quickie With The Dude
Brief Wednesday Afternoon Bullets:
- An interview with Cam Cameron. Boring is as boring does.
- The Sun-Sentinel says the Dolphins' off-season moves leaves lots of questions. Seriously, if one more SoFla fish-wrapper bitches about us being "out bid" for Donte Stallworth and "losing" Wes Welker, my head is going to explode. This is what happens when the news is slow.
- RealFootball argues the case for going after Randy Moss. It's a decent argument. But I don't see it happening.
- I really don't understand this. I really don't.
- A lot of the mock drafts out there -- as well as a lot of you guys -- see the Dolphins drafting OT Levi Brown at No. 9. But according to this article, the Fins "do not think highly of former Penn State left tackle Levi Brown." I don't see Brown in a Dolphins uniform. The way I see it, the Browns are going to take Brady Quinn and the Texans, who also want Quinn and pick No. 8, will then take Brown once Quinn is off the board. This will leave the Fins with two options: Take the best available player (I still think they're taking Okoeye) or trade down to the middle part of the first round.
Update: As reported here by Roro Kid and elaborated by FinFan1 (MSD Nation commenters!), the Texans have traded for QB Matt Shaub from Atlanta. The trade includes the two teams swapping first round picks next month ... which opens the door for Levi Brown becoming a Dolphins a little more. The Texans went from the 8th pick to the 10th and it's clear Atlanta is not targeting an OT. So ... there you have it. Levi may be a Dolphin yet ... Tomorrow I plan on posting why the Dolphins won't trade up and then a half hour later, the NFL Network will report that the Fins and Lions have swapped picks ...
I'm kinda into going after the 19 year old myself. Just seems like a good investment, kid's got a good background and he's a physical beast. I know we need help on offense but I think we can address those issues in later rounds. No one is really blowing my mind on offense with the #9 pick.
The OT position is pretty deep, given that we have 2 picks in the 2nd -- we can still get a solid OT then.
Houston took a big risk here and gave up alot for a QB who has only 6.4 yards per attempt in his career.
True, but I never said I wouldn't take Schaub in a heartbeat. Houston overpaid, not the Dolphins.
No to Green or Moss...we need to build with youth. These guys would be only good for a year or two. Not to mention Green is a never-has-been. Why would anyone be more excited to see Green over Culpepper? Green has had the luxury of the KC line and the best running game and still hasn't been that impressive. Hopefully Carr is released and we can take a shot at him. I don't think we could trade for him, because we would have to pick up that massive #1 overall money. At least he is young enough to be a long-term solution.
As far as the draft goes, I'm starting to think we should try to move down. We have so many needs, and the only players that standout to me are Johnson, Thomas, Quinn, Russell, and Peterson(who we don't need). Picks 6 through 20 could be a toss up. We probably don't have the goods to trade up. I think it would be a good move if we can move down and be confident that we could land one of the top 2 DTs, Ginn, or a CB Muell and Cam are high on and gain an extra pick. If we don't have a good draft we could be looking at another 2-3 years of misery. I'm anxiously awaiting April 28th.
One thing for sure is that we need to get some o-linemen
If we can't trade up for Calvin, Quinn Russell or Thomas, I'd like to see us trade down. The two guys I'd then target in the middle of the first are CB Chris Houston (Arkansas) and WR Robert Meachem (Tenn.). Then get an OT somewhere in the 2nd round. There will still be some quality tackles left in the 2nd.
Greg Bedard posted a new article tonight on the PBP website claiming that the trade is "likely", and that the last hurdle is working out a new contract with Green. Looks like all we'll send KC's way is the seventh rounder we got in the Welker trade.
I still don't get this move.
why take a headcase in addition to a badlegged quaterback...we gotta do something with the QB spot in the draft...
(not getting the Green thing at all)